Saturday, December 22, 2012

Bethlehem, PA...The Christmas City

Hello, my blogger friends! Sorry to be gone so long.

Earlier in the month, my DH and I celebrated our 25th anniversary. We decided to drive up to Bethlehem, PA and see the sights.

We stayed in the Bethlehem Hotel on Main Street.


If you peek in this window, you can see the Tap Room Bar. The walls are lined with photos of famous people who have stayed at the hotel. President Kennedy,  Churchill, the Dalai Lama, Bob Hope, Pam and Rick Smallcomb :), among others.
A beautiful lobby with COFFEE.
There were charming windows.
And lights. I loved these stars.
My handsome husband in front of the Moravian Book Shop which has been a bookstore since 1745.
These are the steel stacks from what used to be Bethlehem Steelworks. No longer in use, they provide an interesting lit background for the Christkindlmarkt, a outdoor (tented) Germanic Christmas fair.

Another view of the Steelworks. I was loving these stacks, which by the way, were used in the movie Transformers III.
Last, but not least, Bethlehem, PA is filled with streets of charming homes like this one (which I want to live in).
We had a wonderful, celebratory time. Then we came home to the news about CT. This has been a hard, hard month. I wanted to share something that has comforted me, with the hopes that it will help you, too.
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” — Mister Rogers

In 2013, I am going to look for the helpers, and try very hard to be one, too. Thank you for you friendship here, and I wish each of you peace.
xoxPam



13 comments:

  1. Great post. Love looking for the helpers.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam.
    What a beautiful city. Congratulations on your 25th ~ how nice that you went on a little trip to celebrate! I LOVE the sidewalks in front of the bookstore and the hotel looks sweet and comfortable.
    My son and d-i-l are here for Christmas (makes me SO happy). I still have shopping and wrapping to do (HELP!!!) but I am not getting it done because I keep running off with them to lunch or this or that (I will spend every second I can with them.)
    It is VERY windy here and COLD. Winter has arrived. I imagine it is pretty much the same there.
    Have a Blessed Merry Christmas, Pam!!!!!! Sending love and hugs.
    xxoo audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bookstore, and Bethlehem look magical.
    Congrats on your 25th !!!
    Mister Rogers always was the go to guy
    for comfort and advice.
    xox
    topangamaria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 25th! It looks like you had a lovely time, such a pretty town.
    I'm so glad you had a nice trip :)
    Thanks for sharing that story about the helpers.
    It made me think of the helper "Comfort Golden Retrievers" that went to CT to give people someone to hug and hold onto and get love and good energy.
    I was very depressed with all the news, every time that I would see one of those little faces on the News, I wanted to just sob and then I started to think how we can't let those evil people destroy all of our happiness....
    Yep, we need to stay strong and think about the helpers and be a helper.
    Merry Xmas! XOXO - Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely thought. I've been in tears all week, first thing in the morning, watching the news. One by one by one...oh it's been awful. But I will start to watch for the helpers, what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 25th Anniversary Pam and cute Hubby! What a lovely and festive trip! I found some helpers when I went to my son's Christmas Holiday parties every teacher, staff, aid and parent who teaches and loves our kids! It was a little hard at times when I was in a room full of 6 year olds who are just filled with the wonder and excitement of the Holidays. All the kids are just filled with love and joy. It lifted my spirit and heart just to be there I couldn't leave and stayed the whole day. It was the best gift ever!
    Oh and you won a frozen pumpkin ornament! Email me and I'll get him on his frozen way. :) Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, that is the very, very BEST advice!!!
    Happy 25th!
    Thank you for your sweet card.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Pam!!!
    And what a wonderful trip you did! Love that hotel How lucky the Dalai Lama has been to stay in the same hotel as you did ;)

    Indeed sad times . but no matter what we have to try to focus on positive things...........
    I am sure there are more helpers in this world that people with bad intentions. Why is it that their act have so much more impact...... Too bad it is this way

    beautiful post !
    Happy Holidays ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quoted Mr. Rogers too...I have always loved that guy.
    25yrs wow!
    And he is handsome :)
    Happy Christmas Pam♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful city to celebrate your anniversary in and what a handsome hubby you have. It has been hard being cheerful because of the recent tragedy but looking for helpers sounds like a good idea. I love that you quoted Mr. Rogers. Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas. XoxOx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Pam,

    Hope this finds you with your feet up and finished with the wrapping and enjoying a cocoa or a toddy.

    Belated Happy 25th! The town looks so very charming, so glad you had time to get away and enjoy it! Adore that house.

    Merry merry Christmas to the whole Smallcomb bunch!

    Sally xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year as well as Happy Anniversary!! Yay! It's been fun visiting your blog this past year, look forward to 2013. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quote and photo of Mister Rogers.
    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete